Your First Visit
Your first visit to our center will take place in our Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Clinic at the Journey Clinic. You will be meeting with one of our BMT doctors, a social worker, and nurse coordinator. The goal of your evaluation is to decide if BMT would be a safe and effective treatment.
- Check for problems that might occur during or after your transplant.
- Gather medical information.
- Review and adjust your child's diet and treatment so that they will be in the best possible condition for a transplant.
- Teach you more about BMT, before and after care and what to expect while waiting for a transplant.
- Allow you to meet the transplant team.
- Discuss your child's transplant options.
During your initial visit, you will also meet with a social worker. Your social worker will:
- Provide you with a patient's guide to blood and marrow transplantation and other information about our BMT program.
- Answer any questions you have following your meeting with the doctor about the BMT process.
- Provide you with resources to help your family prepare for the transplant experience.
- Help you understand the practical aspects of preparing for and coming back for transplant.
- Offer a tour of the inpatient BMT hospital unit
Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplantation Center
East Building, Ninth Floor
2450 Riverside Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55454