Questions to Ask
Asking questions is important for you and your family to understand and feel comfortable throughout treatment. We suggest you write questions down before meeting with the medical team. It helps to have a family member or friend with you to take notes and provide support during meetings.
What are some questions to ask a potential BMT treatment facility?
- Why is BMT being recommended now?
- Are there other options?
- What kind of BMT will be best for my child?
- What does it involve?
- What are the benefits, risks, and side effects (short and long term) of BMT?
- What is my prognosis afterward?
- How will a donor be found?
- How long is treatment likely to take?
- How long will my child be in the hospital?
- How long do we need to remain near the BMT clinic and hospital?
- What will my child's life be like after BMT?
- What expenses are there with BMT (physicians, hospital, medications, and so forth)?
- What are our non-medical expenses (such as housing, travel, and meals)?
- Will our insurance cover BMT? If not, what are other options?
You may have additional questions and concerns. Our BMT program staff are ready to assist you and your family at each stage of the process.