Your First Visit
Your first visit to our center will take place in our Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Clinic. You will be meeting with one of our BMT doctors, a social worker, and nurse coordinator. The goal of your evaluation is to decide if BMT would be a safe and effective treatment.
- Check for problems that might occur during or after your transplant.
- Gather medical information.
- Review and adjust your child's diet and treatment so that they will be in the best possible condition for a transplant.
- Teach you more about BMT, before and after care and what to expect while waiting for a transplant.
- Allow you to meet the transplant team.
- Discuss your child's transplant options.
During your initial visit, you will also meet with a social worker. Your social worker will:
- Provide you with a patient's guide to blood and marrow transplantation and other information about our BMT program
- Answer any questions you have following your meeting with the doctor about the BMT process
- Provide you with resources to help your family prepare for the transplant experience
- Help you understand the practical aspects of preparing for and coming back for transplant
- Offer a tour of the inpatient BMT hospital unit